Follow me as I travel to new destinations, explore new flavors,
enjoy friends and family and enhance life with new experiences.

Friday, July 2, 2010

Fish Soup?

For dinner last night, I wanted to use up all the perishable ingredients I had in the fridge before we head out of town for the weekend.  I had diced up some carrots, celery, onion and squash earlier in the week thinking I would make soup one night.  I also had some tilapia I needed to cook before heading out of town this weekend.  But would fish soup be any good? I found this recipe, so I thought I'd give it a try.
Tilapia Corn Chowder

I made some tweaks of my own.  I didn't use any bacon and I subbed Italian Seasoning instead of thyme, skim milk instead of half and half (which made it more of a soup than a chowder), red potatoes instead of Yukon Gold, and onion, carrots, and squash instead of leeks.  I love recipes that are this flexible!

I had some croutons in the freezer (French Baguette Diced, sprayed with Pam, tossed with garlic salt and Italian Seasoning, then baked at 375 for about 20 min).  So I tossed those in each serving bowl straight from the freezer and topped them with soup.

It turned out really tasty and only took about 20 minutes to prepare.  My picky eater sisters even ate it!  The leftovers were even tastier at lunch today.

No comments: