Follow me as I travel to new destinations, explore new flavors,
enjoy friends and family and enhance life with new experiences.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Still Loving Amsterdam...

The second day we slept in until 11:30...much needed! Our hostel had coffee and tea set out in the morning, so I drank some out in the lobby while I waited for the 1 shower. I met some girls from Minnesota and snuggled with the resident cat, Simba.

Then we headed to the Van Gogh museum making several pit-stops along the way.  We grabbed a street food lunch, Doner Kebabs. Delicious! I found an antique shop, Antiek May, where I bought a beautiful gold and garnet pendant necklace.  I'm told it's about 100 years old. And we did a little souvenir shopping as well.

There was a line at the Van Gogh museum, so we headed across the street to the House of Bols which we had seen on the show 3 Sheets.  It was so much fun!  You got an interactive history lesson on the Bols distillery and at the end a cocktail and 2 shots of your choice (Europeans can drink!).  There was a touch screen at the end where you chose which cocktail you wanted, then printed out the recipe and took your selection to the bartender. You got to keep the print out as a souvenir...nice marketing since the recipe included Bols ingredients.

The line was gone when we finished at Bols, so we headed into the Van Gogh museum.  It was so interesting to see the brushstrokes of painters I've always heard of, and Van Gogh's famous Sunflowers and Irises.  There were works by Monet as well.  Very beautiful.

The Heineken tour was on our list, but we got there too late and didn't have time before leaving the next day. So we headed back to the hostel for a break before heading out for the evening. There are several Chinese massage places around the town, so I couldn't help but relieve my achey feet with a foot massage.  Well worth the price!  Daniel stopped for a delicious snack at McDonald's...the GreekMac.  I hope it makes its way over to the US! 

We freshened up and headed back out towards the "happening" area, so we were told.  It wasn't so great, so we ended up slowly meandering home stopping at cafes along the way.  Daniel got some Simba cuddle time in after we got back.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Talked to your mom today and wished her happy birthday too. She says you both have colds - probably need a little more rest.
What interesting places you have seen. Maybe someday i'll get to do a whistle stop tour of Europe and see all the things I've read about and that you have interested me with. Glad you're having fun. Love you both - take care of each other! Penny